Monday 19 October 2009

1st week

Well, first week has been and gone, and I have nearly finished the second week's work. I've done most of the exercises, but only first drafts and nothing very polished. I just don't want to fall behind. Nothing I've done so far grabs me as worth developing, so I'll just leave it all in my A363 folder for future perusal. I did, however, quite like the following poem.

It’s hard here waiting on letters.
Lonely, longing for phone calls.
No trace of a place of our own yet.
Are you really trying?
I almost forget how to be with you.
I’m a mother now, more than a wife.
Aileen wakes me at six,
And the bed is wet with her,
Not warm with you.
When will we be together?
When will we be a family?
I am longing for it.
But I warn you. I shall be shy.

We had to find an old letter or something, and search it for signs of contrast, conflict or tension. I found a letter that mum wrote to dad in 1946. She was stuck in Sedbergh while he went to London to find work and somewhere to live. The bit that says, 'Are you really trying?' is not evident in the letter, but I used poetic license to add tension.

No comments: